A natural and normal part of your body’s healing process, scars form in places where there is skin damage caused by trauma such as a cut, burn or other wound. Comprised of fibrous tissues, scars appear in various forms and to a wide degree of severity.
What are the different types of scar treatments?
Scar treatment is dependent on the scar type. Below are a variety of treatments available for the scar types mentioned above.
- Fractional Skin Resurfacing – This treatment works to build new collagen in the surface layers of the skin using microscopic laser beams, leaving untreated skin between.
- The only FDA-Approved Dermal Filler to treat acne scarring, Bellafill, fills certain scars that flatten when stretched by the fingers. This treatment replaces lost volume while providing the structural base for your body to produce collagen.
- Rejuvapen Micro Needling creates invisible, micro perforations into the top layer of the skin, the epidermis, to turn on the skin’s natural repair mechanisms to produce collagen and elastin to repair the area.
- If the scars flatten when stretched, they can be treated with our dermal filler, Bellafill.
- Atrophic scars may also be treated with Fractional Skin Resurfacing and Rejuvapen Micro Needling.
- First line treatment uses injections of steroids into the scar to soften the fibrous tissues and flatten the scar.
- Depending on the severity of the hypertrophic scar, a combination treatment of steroid injection and Fractional Skin Resurfacing may be prescribed.
- As with hypertrophic scars, the first form of treatment is to treat keloid scars with steroid injections.
- Keloid scars can require surgical removal. When surgery is required, steps are taken to minimize the chance of keloid recurrence with injected steroids before, during and after surgical removal.
How can a dermatologist help me with my scars?
Scars are often seen as permanent, but they don’t necessarily have to be. Many people find themselves self-conscious of their scars, continuously working to hide or cover their appearance. Our team of skilled providers, both medical and cosmetic, work together and employ a variety of treatment options to diminish the appearance of all types of scars.
If you are ready to take action stop hiding your scars, simply contact our office to schedule an appointment with our medical providers or a complimentary cosmetic consultation to learn about our laser, micro needling and filler treatment options. Our goal at Dermatology and Laser Center of Charleston is to help you achieve the happiest, healthiest skin possible, while making sure you stay comfortable and informed throughout the entire treatment process.