Our main office, situated in a prime location adjacent to the Bon Secours Saint Francis Hospital campus, is built on an historic property which dates back to antebellum times. Located at 2180 Henry Tecklenburg Drive, this state-of-the-art building offers a calming, serene and private setting for patients to experience our many services, while enjoying creek, marsh and pond views from every room. With abundant parking and easy access from I-526 and Hwy 17, our technologically advanced, energy-efficient space blends green and environment-friendly policies. In addition to a paperless, computerized medical record system, the office combines many features designed to save energy and lessen environmental impact.
Our second and newest location, at 1364 Ashley River Road, provides quick and easy access for our downtown, James Island as well as West Ashley patients seeking medical and cosmetic procedures and services. This spacious facility also houses the headquarters of our affiliate, the Clinical Research Center of the Carolinas, which over eleven years has attained national recognition for its contributions as a full-service dermatological and medical research center working with pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers and other research organizations to conduct clinical trials to expand treatment options for patients and alleviate illness and suffering.
An Historic Site
The site of Dermatology & Laser Center of Charleston contains Battery Magwood, a significant historic resource in interpreting the defense of Charleston during the Civil War. It is only the 6th of 12 site fortifications in West Ashley known to still exist, and is soon to be only the second site with protection. The property was once part of Woodword Plantation, an 18th century rice plantation in St. Andrews Parish. The plantation was sold to Simon Magwood in 1816 and it stayed in the Magwood family for the next century.
After General P.G.T. Beauregard had commanded the Confederate forces in Charleston during April 1861 firing on Fort Sumter, and forces at the Battle of Bull Run in Virginia and Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee, Beauregard returned in September of 1862 and began to establish new batteries and fortifications to protect a Federal attempt to capture the city. Battery Magwood is situated on Long Branch Creek. Though not as impressive today, this had once been a navigable waterway, which could have left a chink in Charleston Armor. At the Battery Magwood, it is known that there were plans made to locate at least 5 large guns, 75 artillerymen and more than 2,500 infantry men.
Dr. Schlesinger has partnered with the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust in his effort to preserve this historic monument as an important piece of Charleston’s past.